Extra Support To Meet The Urgent Needs Of Family Violence Victims
New funding from the Andrews Labor Government will boost front-line support to families experiencing family violence and also target perpetrators to end the cycle of violence.
Minister for Families and Children Jenny Mikakos, Minister for Housing, Disability, and Ageing Martin Foley and Minister for the Prevention of Family Violence Fiona Richardson today announced the allocation of more than $5 million in funding to meet increasing demand for family violence services for a variety of programs, including:
- $500,000 for Aboriginal-specific family violence services
- $1 million to boost Safe Step’s capacity to provide crisis accommodation and support
- $1 million to support the operation of Victoria’s refuge system
- $1 million to support peak organisations Domestic Violence Victoria and No to Violence
- $783,000 to the Men’s Referral Service and the 29 organisations funded to deliver men’s behaviour change programs
- $1 million to the 47 organisations funded to deliver counselling and support services for women and children
The funding is part of the $10 million response to increased demand announced ahead of the Royal Commission into Family Violence handing down its report.
This funding is on top of the Victorian Budget’s 2016/17 allocation of $572 million to begin responding to Royal Commission recommendations.
This included $168 million to overhaul the child protection system in the Roadmap for Reform, which aligns with the recommendations in the Royal Commission.
Quote attributable to Minister for Families and Children Jenny Mikakos
“This range of programs will go a long way helping some of Victoria’s most vulnerable families and children, with the targeted support they need.”
Quote attributable to Minister for Housing, Disability, and Ageing Martin Foley
“This is just part of our investment for families in need of shelter and crisis support. We are providing urgent help now and investing long-term in safe housing for families in crisis.”
Quote attributable to Minister for the Prevention of Family Violence Fiona Richardson
“The Andrews Labor Government is implementing a comprehensive approach to urgently address family violence.”